**Articles may contain links that I earn compensation for if clicked and you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. These earnings do not actually impact the price of the product or service.
If you are looking to get relief from sciatica when working at home or in the office, we have the best office chair for sciatica. They can help you alleviate pain and discomfort caused by pressure on the sciatic nerves.
Sciatica is a very common condition, affecting up to 40% of the population at some point in their lives. It mostly affects people who sit a lot due to improper posture and lack of exercise.
It stands to reason that a good office chair will help you manage or even cure sciatica. Our experts compiled this list of the 10 best office chairs for sciatica to help you make a choice.
As a bonus, we will also share our buying guide. You will be able to tell what are the most important considerations when choosing an office chair for your condition.
|Top Top Top||Serta AIR Health and Wellness Executive Office Chair High Back Ergonomic for Lumbar Support Task Swivel, Bonded Leather, Light Gray||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Office Chair with Tilt Limiter and Carpet Casters | Adjustable PostureFit SL, Arms, and Seat Angle | Medium Size B with Graphite Finish||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||SPACE Seating Professional AirGrid Dark Back and Padded Black Eco Leather Seat, 2-to-1 Synchro Tilt Control, Adjustable Arms and Tilt Tension with Nylon Base Managers Chair||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||Flash Furniture Big & Tall Office Chair | Black Mesh Executive Swivel Office Chair with Lumbar and Back Support and Wheels, BIFMA Certified||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||Steelcase Amia Task Chair: Adjustable Back Tension - LiveLumbar Support - Seat Slider - 4 Way Adjustable Arms - Black Frame/Black Fabric||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||AmazonBasics High-Back, Leather Executive, Swivel, Adjustable Office Desk Chair with Casters, Black||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||Herman Miller Embody Chair: Fully Adj Arms - Graphite Frame/Base - Standard Carpet Casters||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair – Exercise Stability Yoga Ball Premium Ergonomic Chair for Home and Office Desk with Air Pump, Exercise Guide and Satisfaction Guarantee, Charcoal||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair with Headrest, Black Mesh & Chrome Base||Check Lowest Price|
10 Best Office Chairs for a Person With Sciatica
Serta Air Health and Wellness Executive Office Chair – Top Pick
The Serta Air Health and Wellness Executive Office Chair is our top pick because of its plush cushioning and ergonomic design. It has soft and comfortable lumbar support for your lower back to ease sciatica.
The lumbar cushioning features unique Air Kinetic technology that continuously adapts to your spine as you move about. This makes sure that you are always fully supported.
- Dimensions: 29.25”L x 25.75”W x 17.5”H.
- Weight: 38.9 pounds (17.6kg).
- Weight capacity: 250 pounds (113.3 kg).
- Air kinetic lumbar support.
- Soft upholstered arm pads.
- Thick foam seat cushions.
- High-quality artificial leather material.
- Elevated headrest.
- Multi-surface dual caster wheels.
- Hydraulic piston with lever controls for raising and lowering the seat height.
- Waterfall seat edge.
- Plush cushioning for maximum comfort.
- Dynamic lumbar support.
- Easy to assemble.
- Ergonomic design promotes proper posture.
- Padded armrests.
- Premium material for the cover ensures durability and a stylish look.
- The stiff material and posture take some getting used to.
- Not good for tall heavy users.
The Serta Air Health and Wellness office chair is a great option thanks to its air lumbar support. It is sort and adjusts with your movements, ensuring maximum support even during extended periods.
Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Office Chair
If pricing isn’t a problem and you’re looking for the best office chair for sciatica that money can buy, the Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Office Chair is your solution.
The Herman Miller Aeron chair has been an icon in office chairs since 1994. This model is the latest iteration of what has become to be known as one of the world’s most comfortable chairs ever.
- Dimensions: 16.8”L x 27”W x 41”H.
- Weight: 37 pounds.
- Weight capacity: 350 pounds.
- Elastomeric seat and backrest.
- Made of recycled material.
- Tilt limiter controls the type and amount of tilt available.
- Different chair sizes to suit different bodies.
- Iconic Y-shaped PostureFit SL spine support.
- Tilt tension adjustment.
- 8 tension support zones on the chair.
- 12-year warranty.
- Ultimate comfort.
- Breathable material.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Stylish and attractive.
- Lightweight and easy to assemble
- Great warranty terms.
- Great lumbar support with soft padded armrests.
- No headrest.
- You will need to get a chair with exact fitting, else the lumbar support will feel out of place.
The Herman Miller Aeron v2 chair is supremely comfortable, especially with the soft elastic mesh fabric for the seat and backrest. If you can spare the money, it is definitely a worthy investment in your health.
If you already have an office chair, you don’t have to buy a whole new one to get relief from sciatica. The ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat cushion is a specially designed cushion that you can place over an existing office chair.
What sets it apart is that it eases pressure on your tailbone, which helps greatly to relieve pain from sciatica. It is also wide and heavily padded to support your bottom.
- Non-slip rubber bottom.
- Removable and washable cover.
- Memory foam and gel cushioning.
- Cut-out rear reduces pressure on the tailbone.
- Contoured design for a more ergonomic and natural posture.
- Built-in transport handle.
- Very cost-effective and affordable.
- Easy to carry around.
- Simple cleaning is all the maintenance needed.
- Non-slip cover.
- Eases pressure on the tailbone to ease sciatica.
- Maximum support to improve posture.
- The memory foam can be hard at first before it adjusts to your posture.
- When it is cold, it becomes super hard.
This genius seat cushion has made life much better for hundreds of thousands of people. Its versatility and superior comfort are a big advantage, plus you don’t have to fork out hundreds for it. Get yourself one of these amazing seating cushions for sciatica here on Amazon.
You Might Also Like: Best Office Chair Under $300
SPACE Seating Professional AirGrid Leather Seat
The Space Seating Professional AirGrid seat is an ergonomic office chair designed to give the best comfort at affordable prices. It offers plush comfort and durable materials, together with convenient design.
As its name suggests, it has a mesh backing to allow for breathability in the backrest. It follows the natural S-shape curve of the spice for lumbar support to help ease the pain.
It allows you to adjust various parts including the height and armrests to accommodate users of different sizes. You can recline easily and ergonomically, thanks to its adjustable Tilt Control
- Dimensions: 25”L x 27”W x 42”H.
- Weight: 47.1 pounds (21.4 kg).
- Weight capacity: 250 pounds (113.3 kg).
- Heavy-duty nylon base.
- Pneumatic seat height adjustment with a lever.
- Adjustable angled armrests with soft PU pads.
- Mesh siding.
- Eco-leather and textile cover over foam seat cushioning.
- Oversized carpet casters.
- Thick comfortable cushioning.
- Affordable pricing.
- Adjustable height.
- Breathable backrest.
- 2-1 Synchro Tilt Control.
- Non-toxic, eco-friendly material.
- PU leather material is not very durable.
- You cannot adjust the armrest forward and backward.
- Wobbly armrests.
This is a great office chair if your budget is limited. Its ergonomic design is great for alleviating back pain and increasing comfort, but it won’t last longer than the three years listed on the warranty. You can buy the Space AirGrid Dark Office Chair here on Amazon.
Flash Furniture Big & Tall Office Chair – Best for Big and Tall PeopleError: Unknown Link Type
If you’re large and go through office chairs in months, the Flash Furniture Big and Tall Office Chair is designed especially for you. With its 500 lbs/226.7 kgs weight capacity and wide dimensions, you will feel right at home in it.
The chair features a ventilated mesh high backrest to keep you comfortable as you work. It also has adjustable lumbar support to keep your back in a natural posture and ease pressure on your spine.
- Dimensions: 28.5”L x 31.5”W x 47.5”H.
- Weight: 62 pounds (28.1 kg).
- Weight capacity: 500 pounds (228.7 kg).
- Mesh back.
- Adjustable lumbar support.
- Flip-up arms.
- Pneumatic height adjustment with a lever.
- Heavy-duty metal base.
- Contoured seat with waterfall edge.
- 5” thick padded foam cushioning.
- Heavy-duty construction for large heavy people.
- Thick padding.
- Adjustable armrests.
- Durable pneumatic cylinder.
- Breathable mesh fabric for the back.
- You can adjust the give of the lumbar support.
- Not good for short people.
- Assembly takes time, and the components are big and heavy.
The Flash Furniture Big and Tall office chair is perfect for ‘Hercules’ size users. If you are taller than 6′ and need a comfortable heavy-duty office chair, then get yourself this one here from Amazon.
Steelcase Amia Task Chair
The Steelcase Amia Task office chair is designed for those who have problems with normal office chairs. It is very adjustable to suit a wide array of users, including short ones.
One of its best features is its LiveLumbarTM technology. It adjusts to your posterior and lower back as you shift about in your chair to provide maximum comfort. Even during extended sessions, it ensures maximum comfort for your back and lower spine.
- Weight: 64.2 pounds (29 kg).
- Dimensions: 23”L x 27”W x 39”H.
- Adjustable LiveLumbarTM technology for consistent back support.
- Made of a black plastic frame and black polyester fabric.
- 5-arm polished aluminum base.
- 2.5” casters.
- 4-way adjustable arms.
- Maximum weight capacity: 300 pounds (136kg).
- 10-year Steelcase warranty.
- Superior comfort.
- Breathable mesh backrest.
- 4D adjustable armrests for more comfort.
- Durable design including the aluminum base.
- Contouring seat for consistent support and comfort.
- Adjustable seat depth and front edge.
- The backrest cushioning is inadequate.
- If you sit on it for extended periods, it feels hard.
Steelcase is a reputable manufacturer of great office chairs, and this one is one of the best and most comfortable. It has proprietary technology for dynamic lower back support.
The price is likely to be a deal-breaker for many people, but then again this is a chair that you can expect to last for a decade or more.
AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Swivel Office Chair
The AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Swivel office chair gets a lot of things right, including the soft padding and high back design. Its ‘butterfly’ seat design makes it a very comfortable option for long hours of sitting. It also offers standard fixed armrests, and adjustable pneumatic lever design, and a raised front seat edge.
- Dimensions: 30.7”L x 27.6”W x 45.1”.
- Weight: 35.3 pounds (16 kg).
- Weight capacity: 275 pounds (124.7kg).
- Bonded black leather and PVC material.
- Butterfly seat plate.
- Curved contours.
- Adjustable height from 41.34 to 45.08”.
- Tilt and rocking capabilities with tilt lock and tension adjustment.
- Nylon casters.
- Stylish bonded leather finishing.
- Comfortable bucket seat design.
- High backrest.
- Padded armrests.
- Comfortable and durable cushioning.
- Easy to assemble.
- Fixed armrests.
- Squeaking after several years of use.
The AmazonBasics High Back Executive Office Chair is a very affordable and functional option. It is comfortable without being vain and can last several years with decent use.
Herman Miller Embody Ergonomic Office Chair
Herman Miller leads the industry with cutting-edge design on office chairs. The Embody Ergonomic Office chair is the result of extensive research by professionals in biomechanics, physical therapy, among others.
It offers the very best of comfort with its Pixelated Support for perfect balance. It works by redistributing your body weight and dynamically adjusts with your movements, which works magically to ease pressure on the spine and ease sciatica.
- Dimensions: 28” x 28” x 24.5”
- Weight:51 pounds (23kg).
- Weight capacity:
- Pixelated support, courtesy of dynamic distribution of pixels for better weight support.
- Backrest adjustment for a glove-like fit.
- Four support layers.
- Wide seat with waterfall edge.
- Adjustable armrests.
- Superior comfort gives you a floating feeling.
- Stylish and timeless design.
- Breathable mesh backrest.
- Weight and pressure distribution technology help to ease back pain.
- Dynamic design moves with you to keep your back well supported.
- Fantastic built quality and durability.
- 12-year warranty from Herman Miller.
- The price tag is likely to give you sticker shock.
- The armrest lacks back and forth adjustment options.
If you have a sensitive back, sinking into the Herman Miller Embody feels like dropping onto a bed of soft pillows. If you are an active person who takes the time to walk about every now and then, you will appreciate its design more. Despite the enormous price tag, you will love it after a few long days of work.
Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair
Active sitting is the new revolution in the office. It stems from the fact that most of the problems faced in the 21st century are a result of our sedentary lifestyles. The Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair is a great option to encourage active sitting in the office.
It consists of a normal exercise ball that you can inflate to various heights, held by a metal base. It supports you fully while engage the major muscle groups in the body to maintain stability.
- Dimensions: 22” x 22” x 31”.
- Weight:13 pounds (5.8kg).
- Inflatable exercise yoga ball.
- Metal base with casters, available in different designs.
- Designed by chiropractors.
- It comes with an air pump.
- 300-pound (136 kg) weight capacity.
- Promotes active sitting.
- The removable yoga ball can be used with other exercises.
- Relieves pressure on the spine and relieves back pain from sciatica.
- The ball keeps the air very well.
- Affordable alternative to the usual office desks.
- Limited back support.
- The base is not durable, and many users report broken bars.
Using an exercise ball as a chair is not a new concept, but Gaiam has brought a fresh perspective to it. You now have a legitimate office chair that will relieve pain and strengthen your core muscles at the same time.
Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair
This is one of the most ergonomic office chairs available with various personalization options to make it as comfortable as possible. The back, seat cushions, headrest, and armrest can all be adjusted in various ways.
Additionally, it features a height-adjustable lumbar support cushion for maximum back support.
- Synchro-tilt mechanism and seat depth adjustment options.
- Height adjustment courtesy of a pneumatic cylinder with a lever.
- Back angle adjustments with 3 tilt positions and tilt-lock.
- Overall dimensions: 26.5” x 29” x 46-52”.
- Weight: 64 pounds/29kg.
- Weight capacity: 250 pounds (113 kg).
- Seat height: 18.5 to 22.2”.
- Mech backrest and seat cover material.
- Contoured height-adjustable lumbar support.
- Exceptional lumbar support.
- Breathable mesh back material.
- Customization option for a truly personalized fit.
- Tilt-lock adjustments with tension control.
- Pivoting armrests.
- Durable and long-lasting construction.
- Not suitable for short people.
- It is not very good for extended sitting.
This chair is particularly attractive due to its adjustability options. You can tune it to your particular tastes and contours, which is a big plus if you have sciatica.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Office Chair for Sciatica
The design of a chair is paramount to its comfort for a sciatica patient. That is because poor posture is at the heart of sciatica flare-ups. Go for chairs with adjustable lumbar support and a waterfall seat edge so that you can keep your feet on the ground.
A seat cushion with a back cutout also works wonders by easing pressure on the coccyx. The best way to get the most ergonomic design is to consider your normal posture and get a chair that complements that.
While comfort is relative, the bottom line remains that a soft and supportive chair will be best for your spine. Go for models with plush cushioning. In the case of Herman Miller chairs, comfort is guaranteed in the form of proprietary meshwork technology.
Also, consider how comfortable the chair will be during extended periods. Some cushioning tends to be harder the longer you sit on it.
Good office chairs for sciatica can be extremely expensive, so always pay attention to the material used. Leather is usually the most durable, but PU/bonded leather is more common.
Metal frames and bases are also more durable because they can support more weight.
Office chairs are mass-produced without regard to specific user proportions. A highly adjustable chair will be much better because it will let you personalize your experience.
Height and weight capacity
Your office chair should fit you like a glove. Always make sure to order the correct size and height to complement your body’s proportions.
If you’re living with sciatica, you know how much it can impact the quality of your life and your productivity at work. Fortunately, a good office chair can help correct your posture and alleviate the discomfort or pain. Get one of these top picks and see your life change for the better.